The Phoenix AKARAMA Foundation of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated is pleased to
announce its scholarship program for the 2021-2022 school year. In recent years, the Delta Beta Omega
chapter has awarded numerous scholarships ranging from $1000 to $3000. Our preference is to award
female, African-American students pursuing higher education, all qualified applicants are welcome to
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority is the oldest Black Greek-letter organization established in America by
African American college women. Our mission is to provide service to all mankind by volunteering our
time and resources to a multifaceted program that addresses education, health and wellness, and
numerous issues of national and international concern.
Applications for scholarships are now being accepted from qualified students who:
● Are graduating Arizona high school seniors entering a four-year college or university OR
are community college students transferring to a four-year college or university
● Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
● Are interested in careers in education (for the Dr. Peggy L. Payne Memorial Scholarship
Applicants MUST complete the attached application in its entirety.
The application is available on the Phoenix AKARAMA site at: https://www.phxakarama.org/scholarship
The deadline for the completed application is March 31, 2022, with all supporting
materials listed below submitted online:
● A cover letter and resume that details your school and community leadership and/or involvement.
● A social media bio of 150 characters or less
● A photo (no-selfies) no larger than 4×6.
● Your double-spaced essay with your name in the upper left corner.
● Two letters of recommendation: One from a teacher, guidance counselor, and/or extracurricular
advisor AND one from a person in the community (i.e. pastor, employer).
● An unofficial transcript from the registrar’s office, which indicates class rank, grade point average,
(optional SAT or ACT scores if available)
● Additional typed sheets to specific questions within the application with name in the upper left
Please email the committee if you have questions at email@example.com.